1977 Skipjack 24' Built in Fuel Tank is Leaking

Sportfish IV is a 1977 24' Skipjack currently being restored.

Moderator: Bob Fisher

Bob Fisher
Administrator

Remove leaking built-in aluminum fuel tank

Post by Bob Fisher » Mon Sep 19, 2011 3:36 am

The tank is out!

We pulled it out with a hydraulic hoist on the back of a service truck.

It was wedged in really tight between the foam on the sides and a bead of caulking around the top.

The foam on the bottom had deteriorated and there was about 5-6 gallons of fuel sloshing around underneath it.

Now I'm in the process of building a subfloor for a new tank. Photos to come soon.
Attachments
Skipjack-Tank-Replace-002.jpg
The Skipjack fuel tank was corroded and had to be removed.
Skipjack-Tank-Replace-002.jpg (72.3 KiB) Viewed 7759 times
Skipjack-Tank-Replace-003.jpg
The Skipjack fuel tank was corroded and had to be removed.
Skipjack-Tank-Replace-003.jpg (121.9 KiB) Viewed 7756 times
Capt. Aussie Bob Fisher
SportfishWorld, LLC.

Bob Fisher
Administrator

Remove leaking built-in aluminum fuel tank

Post by Bob Fisher » Sun Oct 02, 2011 3:19 pm

Skipjack 24' Replace Corroded Fuel Tank

We're building a new sub-floor to mount the new tank on.

If you have a workshop or a driveway available where you can work on your boat then you're one step ahead of us.

We have to do this on the trailer in the marina parking parking lot - with no elecricity.

My point is that's it's not such a huge job if you put your mind to it and you have some encouragement and assistance from a good friend... (Dave)

Oh, and just as important, an understanding wife who doesn't mind you disappearing for hours on end... (June)

I'm forever grateful.

And a special thanks goes out to Gabe who helped me get the tank out.

I can see real progress now! We are going back over to work on it again today. :D :D :D
Attachments
Skipjack-24-New-Stringers-01.jpg
Replace leaking built-in aluminum fuel tank. New stringers fiberglassed in place. The original tank just sat on a bed of foam that was saturated in gasoline and was completed deteriorated.
Skipjack-24-New-Stringers-01.jpg (80.45 KiB) Viewed 7704 times
Capt. Aussie Bob Fisher
SportfishWorld, LLC.

Bob Fisher
Administrator

Skipjack 24' Replace Corroded Fuel Tank

Post by Bob Fisher » Mon Oct 03, 2011 4:00 am

I've finished with the stringers and fitted a marine plywood subfloor. This should be sufficient as a base to hold the new fuel tank.
Attachments
skipjack-fuel-tank-replace-02.jpg
The new marine plywood subfloor is in. It's not pretty but it should do the job.
skipjack-fuel-tank-replace-02.jpg (70.22 KiB) Viewed 7692 times
skipjack-fuel-tank-replace-01.jpg
The new stringers have been fiberglassed into place ready for the subfloor
skipjack-fuel-tank-replace-01.jpg (84.4 KiB) Viewed 7692 times
Capt. Aussie Bob Fisher
SportfishWorld, LLC.

Bob Fisher
Administrator

Skipjack 24' Project Fishing Boat New Fuel Tank Installation

Post by Bob Fisher » Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:56 pm

Boy, how time flies.... I can't believe how long it has been since I've had a chance to work on the Skipjack 24' Project Fishing boat!

Hopefully that is about to change.

After replacing the stringers that support the fuel tank well and fiberglassing in a new subfloor I've sprayed the area with a rubber coating in preparation for the new boat fuel tank.

I've already bought the new fuel tank (Moeller Marine) and new fuel hoses (USCG compliant).

I've glued and clamped two pieces of marine plywood together for the new deck section that will sit above the fuel tank...
Attachments
Skipjack_24_Fuel_Tank_001.jpg
Skipjack 24' Project Fishing Boat New Fuel Tank Installation - Copyright SportfishWorld

After replacing the stringers that support the fuel tank well and fiberglassing in a new floor I've sprayed the area with a rubber coating in preparation.
Skipjack_24_Fuel_Tank_001.jpg (90.36 KiB) Viewed 6778 times
Skipjack_24_Fuel_Tank_026.jpg
- Copyright SportfishWorld
Skipjack_24_Fuel_Tank_026.jpg (97.12 KiB) Viewed 6776 times
Skipjack_24_Fuel_Tank_031.jpg
Skipjack_24_Fuel_Tank_031.jpg (36.19 KiB) Viewed 6776 times
Skipjack_24_Fuel_Tank_011.jpg
Skipjack_24_Fuel_Tank_011.jpg (91.03 KiB) Viewed 6776 times
Skipjack_24_Fuel_Tank_008.jpg
Skipjack_24_Fuel_Tank_008.jpg (37.99 KiB) Viewed 6776 times
Skipjack_24_Fuel_Tank_009.jpg
Skipjack_24_Fuel_Tank_009.jpg (61.65 KiB) Viewed 6776 times
Skipjack_24_Fuel_Tank_004.jpg
Skipjack 24' Project Fishing Boat New Fuel Tank Installation - Copyright SportfishWorld

This is what's behind the cover plate on the port side of the boat. Both the fuel filler hose, the fuel vent hose and the ground wire go through those holes and und
Skipjack_24_Fuel_Tank_004.jpg (83.25 KiB) Viewed 6776 times
marine-plywood-boat-floor.jpg

Preparing the new (removable) floor panel that will sit above the tank. Never again will I have my fuel tank fiberglassed into a sealed cavity that I cannot get to (i
marine-plywood-boat-floor.jpg (42.29 KiB) Viewed 6753 times
Capt. Aussie Bob Fisher
SportfishWorld, LLC.

Bob Fisher
Administrator

Post by Bob Fisher » Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:53 pm

Well, I got a chance between the rain showers this past weekend to do some more work on the Skipjack 24' project fishing boat .

I've installed the new Moeller fuel tank (it's been screwed to the floor with a stainless steel bracket kit from Moeller), the new fuel hoses from West Marine (USCG approved) are now connected and double clamped with stainless steel hose clamps, the existing water-separating fuel filter mounting bracket has been relocated to a place that is more accessible/convenient for me to replace filters in the future...

The boat is covered in dirt and full of leaves etc so it doesn't looks so good but that is purely superficial and I will tend to it after I get the new floor installed over the top of the new tank.

I did put in a new water-separating fuel filter canister (Sierra 10 microns) and I also replaced the fuel filter in the carburetor. After pouring in the fuel from a spare 5 gallon container of fresh gasoline that I had in my garage I was able to get the motor fired up and it ran pretty smoothly considering it has sat for so long!

Can we go fishing soon? It's been way too long!!!

Skipjack 24' Project Fishing Boat: old fuel tank removal, new fuel tank installation, Moeller fuel tank, Moeller fuel tank stainless steel mounting brackets, water separating fuel filter mounting bracket, Sierra 10 micron fuel filter element, USCG approved fuel hoses: 1 1/2" fuel filler, 5/8" fuel vent, 3/8" fuel line, fuel lines double clamped with stainless steel hose clamps
Attachments
Skipjack-Boat-Fuel-Tank-Replace-02.jpg

I pulled back the covers and worked on the boat in the driveway - in between rain showers
Skipjack-Boat-Fuel-Tank-Replace-02.jpg (111.21 KiB) Viewed 6655 times
Skipjack-Boat-Fuel-Tank-Replace-05.jpg

I pulled back the covers and worked on the boat in the driveway - in between rain showers
Skipjack-Boat-Fuel-Tank-Replace-05.jpg (65.02 KiB) Viewed 6654 times
Skipjack-Boat-Fuel-Tank-Replace-04.jpg

Skipjack-Boat-Fuel-Tank-Replace-04.jpg (78.07 KiB) Viewed 6653 times
Skipjack-Boat-Fuel-Tank-Replace-01.jpg

Skipjack-Boat-Fuel-Tank-Replace-01.jpg (92.19 KiB) Viewed 6653 times
Capt. Aussie Bob Fisher
SportfishWorld, LLC.

Return to “PROJECT FISHING BOATS:SKIPJACK 24'”