Fishing Cape Peron, Shark Bay late 70's

Fishing reports and discussion for Perth, Mandurah, Bunbury, Busselton, Albany, Geraldton, Kalbarri, Carnarvon, Exmouth and everywhere else.

Moderator: barra_on_fly

Bob Fisher
Administrator

Fishing Cape Peron, Shark Bay late 70's

Post by Bob Fisher » Tue Jul 24, 2007 1:48 am

Fishing Cape Peron, Shark Bay, Western Australia late 70's

These are oldies but you may find them of interest... after all it's all about fishing isn't it :roll:

I was invited to an annual pilgrimage to Cape Peron by my (first) father-in-law. A group of old codgers had been going there for many years. The trip was usually for ten days and as the region was pretty remote they would take a marquis tent, generator and large freezer. Four wheel drives and aluminium boats were the order of the day as you had to put the boats in off a beach with a small shore break.

The fish species encountered while I was there included whiting, snapper, cod, mulloway and sharks...

These blokes would take like a hundred cases of 750 mil bottles of beer. When I first got there and we set up camp I discovered that the beer was allocated on a per capita basis and everyone immediately proceeded to build bedside tables with their quota out of their allotted (full) cartons... I still remember the guy, he was a dutchman (probably called "dutchie" or something obvious like that) who drank his bedside tables way before everybody else. Morning, noon and night... his 'tables' quickly disappeared! :shock:

We generally swam and drank during the heat of the day (really clever since there were big tiger sharks in the area). We also fished for whiting from the shore. We HAD to swim because it was the only means of having a wash. Our limited supply of fresh water was for coffee and brushing your teeth. Don't remember people brushing their teeth or changing their clothes much on that trip...

The whiting had a two-fold purpose 1) as a food source and 2) as our prime, fresh bait.

The serious fishing usually commenced just before sunset and we only had to go a couple of hundred yards offshore and fish for a couple of hours.

Heavy handlines, a big suicide hook on a dropper loop, a big sinker and half a whiting was all that we used.

The action would come on strong at dusk and within a couple of hours the bottom of the boat would be covered in Mulloway, Snapper and Cod.

It was a short trip into the beach guided by the glowing Tilley Lantern that hung from a gaff on the shore.

I only did that trip once and it certainly was a memorable experience. During those ten days we never saw another boat or another vehicle up there....

Cheers

8)
Attachments
Cape_Peron_Shark_Bay_11.jpg
Cape_Peron_Shark_Bay_11.jpg (45.35 KiB) Viewed 4557 times
Cape_Peron_Shark_Bay_10.jpg
Cape_Peron_Shark_Bay_10.jpg (49.48 KiB) Viewed 4557 times
Cape_Peron_Shark_Bay_09.jpg
Bob and Lefty with part of our evening catch
Cape_Peron_Shark_Bay_09.jpg (63.29 KiB) Viewed 4557 times
Cape_Peron_Shark_Bay_08.jpg
Cape_Peron_Shark_Bay_08.jpg (88.56 KiB) Viewed 4557 times
Cape_Peron_Shark_Bay_07.jpg
Cape_Peron_Shark_Bay_07.jpg (47.49 KiB) Viewed 4557 times
Cape_Peron_Shark_Bay_06.jpg
Cape_Peron_Shark_Bay_06.jpg (61.29 KiB) Viewed 4557 times
Cape_Peron_Shark_Bay_05.jpg
Cape_Peron_Shark_Bay_05.jpg (47.1 KiB) Viewed 4557 times
Cape_Peron_Shark_Bay_04.jpg
young Bob with a Cape Peron Pink Snapper
Cape_Peron_Shark_Bay_04.jpg (66.47 KiB) Viewed 4557 times
Cape_Peron_Shark_Bay_03.jpg
Cape_Peron_Shark_Bay_03.jpg (49.21 KiB) Viewed 4557 times
Cape_Peron_Shark_Bay_02.jpg
Cape_Peron_Shark_Bay_02.jpg (100.26 KiB) Viewed 4557 times
Cape_Peron_Shark_Bay_01.jpg
This guys name was 'lefty' or something... he only had one leg... His right one was wooden...
Cape_Peron_Shark_Bay_01.jpg (73.05 KiB) Viewed 4557 times
Last edited by Bob Fisher on Fri May 16, 2008 1:18 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Capt. Aussie Bob Fisher
SportfishWorld, LLC.

barra_on_fly
Forum MODERATOR Fishing W.A. & Australia

Post by barra_on_fly » Wed Jul 25, 2007 12:09 pm

It is amazing how photos and how we measured a days fishing have changed. Back then it was how many fish you kept and the brag photos were a heap of fish, whereas now its release techniques and "on water" pics of fish being released!
I look back at fishing with my parents on a jetty or on the Murray and the only shots we have are fish on the filleting board, and now they are all "comfort lifts" and net shots etc!!
Amazing that this has occured in the last 10 -20 years.
Its all good!

Return to “FISHING IN WESTERN AUSTRALIA”