Project Rebuild - Reel Screamer

Got a fishing boat you've worked on or are still working on... Bought a new fishing boat and want to share your pride and joy with others? (or just brag!)

Moderator: Bob Fisher

barra_on_fly
Forum MODERATOR Fishing W.A. & Australia

Post by barra_on_fly » Tue Jul 14, 2009 4:25 am

Leith Larham wrote:Hello Scott,

white interior as normal with full gloss black sides, and a red 70mm line running along the water line, should look very sexy!!!

Cheers Leith
8) 8) 8) 8) 8)
OOoooH YEAH! :wink:

Leith Larham
Forum MODERATOR PHGFC Port Hedland

Post by Leith Larham » Fri Aug 21, 2009 8:04 am

Boat is back from the painters, and now it's time to start fitting her up this weekend. I will post pics of items as they are installed. This is going to take a few weeks as i am working on it after work and on weekends.

So to you Hedland guys don't ask me to go fishing for a few weeks, as I need to knuckle down and get stuck into it.

Cheers Leith
Quality not Quantity!

Leith Larham

Post by Leith Larham » Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:31 am

Ok back into it, a few weekends off due to fishing comps etc has slowed progress, it should be full steam ahead now. Here are a couple of pics of what i have installed so far. Soon she will be off to the marine trimmers for carpet, canopy and all the other fluffy stuff.

Cheers Leith
Attachments
IMG_3955.JPG
6 new Reelax rod holders. These are rated to handle game fishing takle to 24kg
IMG_3955.JPG (23.86 KiB) Viewed 6756 times
IMG_4019.JPG
New Fusion 7" speakers.
IMG_4019.JPG (27.98 KiB) Viewed 6756 times
IMG_4018.JPG
These are my favorite addition so far. I had these imported from the states, there is one of these in each seat base. That’s a total of ten tackle boxes for storing a whole bunch of fishing gear i don’t need.
IMG_4018.JPG (37.16 KiB) Viewed 6756 times
IMG_4017.JPG
Along with the new epirb and recess, i have installed new courtesy lights and tackle storage.
IMG_4017.JPG (25.99 KiB) Viewed 6756 times
IMG_3954.JPG
Two new hatch lids, if you flip back to the old pics you can see the difference this has made.
IMG_3954.JPG (25.5 KiB) Viewed 6756 times
IMG_4016.JPG
New front window, and nav lights.
IMG_4016.JPG (38.35 KiB) Viewed 6756 times
IMG_4014.JPG
New side windows.
IMG_4014.JPG (42.78 KiB) Viewed 6756 times
IMG_4013.JPG
Again i spent a few extra dollars on a stainless fuel filler, and look at the difference.
IMG_4013.JPG (23.55 KiB) Viewed 6756 times
IMG_4012.JPG
I couldn’t find a decent switch panel that didn’t look like it was from the 1950's. So i imported these from the states. I think it looks very smart.
IMG_4012.JPG (25.83 KiB) Viewed 6756 times
IMG_3952.JPG
The old kill tank has been converted to house the dual batteries and col hersey battery switch. The switch was deliberately put here so that a physical inspection of the batteries can be done every time you turn power on to the boat.
IMG_3952.JPG (43.31 KiB) Viewed 6756 times
IMG_4009.JPG
New hatch to cover the old kill tank, which is now the battery box.
IMG_4009.JPG (31.31 KiB) Viewed 6756 times
IMG_4008.JPG
This is the new flush mount fuel breather, i spent a couple of extra bucks on a decent breather and as you can see looks very tidy.
IMG_4008.JPG (18.73 KiB) Viewed 6756 times
Quality not Quantity!

Leith Larham

Post by Leith Larham » Mon Jan 04, 2010 9:39 am

Here are some pics of equipment installed over the Christmas break. A couple of sea trials to sort out propping on the motor has shown the boat now handles a lot better than before with very tight figure eights at 45k an hour. The extra weight seems to make her hold the water very well. All that has to be done now is the new cushions for the cabin and some wiring on the electric winch and she will be complete.

Cheers Leith
Attachments
IMG_0100.jpg
Threw out the old removable carpet and installed new grey carpet which is glued down.
IMG_0100.jpg (29.8 KiB) Viewed 7902 times
IMG_0099.jpg
New clears all round, i didn’t realise how bad the old ones were, until the new clears went on. I also had zipped windows installed on the side clears.
IMG_0099.jpg (63 KiB) Viewed 7902 times
IMG_0098.jpg
I have mounted two flood lights at the rear of the canopy to light up the rear cockpit, for night time fishing trips and sleepovers.
IMG_0098.jpg (56.89 KiB) Viewed 7902 times
IMG_0094.jpg
My pet hate is hunting for a problem in the wiring when out fishing, so i spent a little bit of time in setting it up so problems can be identified and fixed very quickly "if" they should ever happen.
IMG_0094.jpg (47.27 KiB) Viewed 7902 times
IMG_0089.jpg
I moved the FM and VHF radio ariels from the side of the cabin to the top of the canopy, this will give me considerably further radio coverage.
IMG_0089.jpg (44.36 KiB) Viewed 7902 times
IMG_0084.jpg
I had a new fabric door made which has an insect screen built in, roll up the inside flap and you can sleep in the cabin and have airflow without the bugs.
IMG_0084.jpg (49.9 KiB) Viewed 7902 times
IMG_0087.jpg
The new dash layout is very functional and very smart, the steering wheel makes a great improvement. The two 10" Lowrance GPS and Sounder should keep me on track and on the fish.
IMG_0087.jpg (43.56 KiB) Viewed 7902 times
IMG_0081.jpg
The switch panel and gauges, this looks very neat. Beats the crap out of old analogue gauges.
IMG_0081.jpg (32.76 KiB) Viewed 7902 times
IMG_0079.jpg
I have chosen the new Fusion IPod stereo, the iPod slot's in behind the face of the unit which is sealed and waterproof. Gone are the days of carrying 100 cd's. I can now travel with my entire music collection.
IMG_0079.jpg (33.39 KiB) Viewed 7902 times
IMG_0078.jpg
Two new Reelax chairs, you have to turn sideways when walking between them, but they make for very comfortable sitting when travelling.
IMG_0078.jpg (41.46 KiB) Viewed 7902 times
IMG_0077.jpg
The new bait board, this was manufactured by Bait Mate, and was delivered to my door from Brisbane for $360 and it was powder coated as well, you can not beat that for value. It has a draw under the cutting board which will be a welcome storage area.
IMG_0077.jpg (36.22 KiB) Viewed 7902 times
IMG_0075.jpg
I went arse up when getting out of the boat a couple of times during the fitting of equipment, so on went the non slip adhesive pads.
IMG_0075.jpg (26.19 KiB) Viewed 7902 times
IMG_0074.jpg
200 horse power 4 stroke Yamaha, this motor weighs 100kg heavier than the previous motor, one of the reasons i moved the 50kg of batteries from the transom to the forward kill tank. Nathan from Pilbara BoatsnBikes did a great job installing the motor
IMG_0074.jpg (39.75 KiB) Viewed 7902 times
Quality not Quantity!

rusty
Forum MODERATOR Fishing in Esperance

excellent job!!!

Post by rusty » Mon Jan 04, 2010 11:57 pm

Really nice rebuild Lieth and happy new year mate, now i suppose ya gotta catch some fish, how do you find the lowrance,s?
I also have gone Ipod and man its gotta be the best investment i have made music wise.
I see there's another cyclone brewing up north, the weather in this neck of the woods has been pretty ordinary these last few months and also i have been so tied up with the business that there has been no time for fishing much but thats all changed now, am planing a trip to port hedland late april towing my 4.5m tinnie as at this tiome am rebuilding the trailer in preparation for the trip etc anyways gotta go for keep posting as the site has gone really quite of late aye
I live with fear sometimes she lets me go fishing!!!!!!!!

Leith Larham

Post by Leith Larham » Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:47 am

Hello Rusty,

I will post some more pics shortly showing all of the boat, just have to finish a couple of minor things.

big fan of Lowrance, i have tried most other brands and Lowrance works best for me. It’s the only sounder where i can get a clear view of the bottom at 50ks an hour.

Did you receive my PM from a couple of months ago, with regards to access to creeks through pastoral stations?

Cheers Leith
Quality not Quantity!

rusty
Forum MODERATOR Fishing in Esperance

re pm?????

Post by rusty » Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:45 pm

No mate did not recieve the pm but am really interested in access to some stations as a lot of water has gone under the bridges since my last foray into that neck of the woods, at my last enquirie
the thompson bros owned munda bulangana, and i am not sure iff dick vincent still owns degrey, dave barton used to be the manager of degrey but he was the manager of munda 2 years ago so i will make some calls, but any help would be appreciated, i am anticipating going to degrey as i know the area having commercailly fished it for a few years in the 80s and early 90s
i would also like to go to the mouth of the turner as well, i already have permission to go to the sherlock so thats covered.
Can you help me here Leith??????
I live with fear sometimes she lets me go fishing!!!!!!!!

Leith Larham

Post by Leith Larham » Sun Jan 10, 2010 9:15 am

A new set of shoes and Reel Screamer is now ready to go fishing. Time to start filling her with all manner of fishing gear and safety equipment. First few trips will be a bit of trolling to run the motor in.
Attachments
IMG_4198.jpg
IMG_4198.jpg (45.34 KiB) Viewed 7847 times
IMG_4197.jpg
IMG_4197.jpg (50.29 KiB) Viewed 7847 times
IMG_4193.jpg
IMG_4193.jpg (54.26 KiB) Viewed 7847 times
IMG_4191.jpg
IMG_4191.jpg (49.35 KiB) Viewed 7847 times
Quality not Quantity!

Leith Larham

Post by Leith Larham » Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:03 am

Here is a list of companies that I used in the rebuild of Reel Screamer. I spent a lot of time trying to find a lot of the products and services, so I hope it helps you if you are thinking of doing some work to your boat.

Pilbara Boats n Bikes – 200 Yamaha motor, anchor winch, VHF radio, fusion IPod player & speakers, assorted deck fittings

Total Welding Port Hedland – repairs and hull modifications

Pink Panther Panel & Paint – paint work

Hedland Motor and Marine Trimmers – clears, carpet, cushions

Pirtek – fuel lines and hoses

Bridgestone – New rims and tyres

Total Corrosion Control – Sandblasting

www.electricboatparts.com.au – various electrical components

www.stainlessstore.com.au – for all your stainless nuts and bolts, I “Highly Recommend” these guys, they give you fantastic service and will have in stock everything you need

www.trailerparts.net.au – various trailer parts

www.bla.com.au – through Pilbara Boats n bikes

www.baitmate.com.au – bait board, these bait boards are fantastic value “Highly Recommend”

www.ssicustomplastics.com – these are the guys I imported the tackle storage boxes from. If only we had the full range of their products here in Australia

www.reelax.com.au –chairs & rod holders

www.12volt.com.au – various electrical items

www.mmw.com.au – replaced windows
Quality not Quantity!

Islander
Master Angler Ranking

Very

Post by Islander » Sun Jan 10, 2010 5:52 pm

Very sweet result Leith.

Well done!

Cheers
Flywest Fishing Charters