Islanders Chivers

Got a fishing boat you've worked on or are still working on... Bought a new fishing boat and want to share your pride and joy with others? (or just brag!)

Moderator: Bob Fisher

Islander
Master Angler Ranking

Islanders Chivers

Post by Islander » Wed Jan 02, 2008 1:43 pm

This is Islanders 7.5 Chivers.

Cheers
Flywest Fishing Charters
http://www.flywest.com.au

dicko1980

Post by dicko1980 » Thu Jan 03, 2008 7:59 am

Love the big platey,

From where I am in Queensland its pretty rare to see big Ali's as most of the big boats are all glass, it opened my eyes up when I came over to the Pilbara and Broome. As we fish predominately inside the reefs and due to the water being so shallow/50-60m at best, most big reef boats are all Fibreglass, so as to punch through short sharp chop, and also we don't beach launch mush in the north.

Cheers
dicko

Islander
Master Angler Ranking

Amazing

Post by Islander » Thu Jan 03, 2008 9:03 am

Amazing what they can do with plate ally these days, what with Computer design & plasma cutting etc.

I once built a 16 ft River boat from a plate cut kit from CDM and put it in survey for river tours chasing trout & bream.

I admit to liking a few designs I see in fiberglass tho for the compound curvature that can be achieved in the bow area especially.

Up here - the big tides and coral bottom the boats inevitably end up sitting on almost dictate plate ally 100% these days.

Doesn't stop me liking a good glass designs tho....just the practicality in this environment is the big issue!

I need a couple of inshore boats for chasing barras and big muddies up the creeks with guests - so probably will end up with plate alloy..

I just lament i cant get the shape I want in alloy...

When they can make something that sweet in ally - the days of glass will be over! :lol: :lol:

Cheers
Flywest Fishing Charters

barra_on_fly
Forum MODERATOR Fishing W.A. & Australia

Post by barra_on_fly » Fri Jan 04, 2008 12:01 pm

Sweet boat there Islander!
Very nice.... 8)

Islander
Master Angler Ranking

The big platey

Post by Islander » Sat Jan 05, 2008 5:13 am

The Big Platey has her issues - believe me.

It's a lovely boat and I shouldn't bitch about her, but she has a couple things drive me to distraction.

Gripe Number 1.

When built by Chivers in 2000 for DOT (Marine Transport / Marine & Harbours) as a Patrol / Rescue vessel, she was only ever surveyed for 4 people because thats all the undercover seating they included and they couldn't envisage sending out more than 4 officers on patrol at any one time.

Most vessel this size are surveyed for AT LEAST 6 people (skipper and deckhand + 4 passengers) some for 8, = 2 + 6.

When you think about it, just a skipper & deckhand who go out to rescue say a sunken dingy with 3 people aboard - arrive and then say -
we can rescue you + you - but sorrry chum number 3 - we'd be breaking the law to put 5 people on board - you'll have to tread water until we tow the boat back to shore and drop your buddies off - good luck - we will come back for you!
:roll:

How stoopid is that - when a rescue vessel couldn't accommodate 3 people from a sunken dingy?

Thats about the sort of idiot thinking you come to expect from our Govt departments today unfortunately!

As a result of that type of decision making the vessels only surveyed for 4 people - meaning we can take 2 clients charter fishing in it at a time (hardly economic). :roll:

Gripe Number 2.

When they originally built it - and tried to put it thru their own survey process - they found that it couldn't pass the "standard incline stability test" where it has to retain one eighth of its beam in clear freeboard with all of the surveyed passenger compliment standing on one side at the same time!. :roll:

You would think a department full of naval architects could design a 25 ft boat with enough stability to cater to 4 people - for goodness sakes - even dingy builders can do that! :shock:

Well - because it wasn't stable enough at rest to pass the test - they ended up putting those damned sponsons along each side for additional block waterline stability to pass the at rest stability test which it now does admirably!.

Theres only one problem!

In a following quartering sea, if you allow one of the leading edges of either sponsons to dig into a wave, they act like the flights on a dart and cause the boat to heel violently and unpredictably to the point of almost flooding angle, (i.e. you think your gonna capsize) before theres enough bouyancy to break the thing free and right itself.

Those sponsons could easily broach the boat in a following sea!

For that reason - I always plan trips to go out punching into a headsea and come home the same way! I avoid following seas wherever I can, and always have the nose trimmed way up before changing course!

Thats about the only 2 faults besides being underpowered with twin 115 hp 4 strokes, and needing bigger fuel tanks and being too damn big and heavy to trailer easily!

Ohh yeah she is too expensive to keep fuel up to her - I can burn $500 in juice in one day without trying too hard!

Other than that she is a wonderful vessel! LOL!

Cheers
Flywest Fishing Charters

barra_on_fly
Forum MODERATOR Fishing W.A. & Australia

Post by barra_on_fly » Sat Jan 05, 2008 4:17 pm

:shock:
Sounds like some major issues.
What speed at full noise with the Hoonduhs?
Would twin 140/150's be better? Probably better economy as they wouldn't have to work as hard- Maybe? Will it plane on one engine?
My cousin has a 21 ft Sportfish plate with twin 110 2 strokes and it would plane and do 20 - 25 knots on one engine. (initially now has one Suki 225 2 stroke).

Islander
Master Angler Ranking

Uh Huh!

Post by Islander » Sat Jan 05, 2008 5:46 pm

What speed at full noise with the Hoonduhs?
Lightship with say 70 litres a side and 5 people = 30 knots on a flat calm day in Shark Bay coming back from Dirk Hartog Isl is the best I've seen.
Would twin 140/150's be better? Probably better economy as they wouldn't have to work as hard- Maybe?
Indeed - but the new Honda 175's would be better again because they actually weigh LESS than the twin 115's year model 2000 on their now according to the spec sheets and we could also then swing bigger dia and steeper pitch props.!

Of course we would get better economy because - they would not be working as hard as the 115's do!
Will it plane on one engine?
Yes and No!
It won't plane on one engine set up as I have it with twins because the dia and pitch of the remaining prop is too small and too tall!

IF i were to carry a larger dia prop of smaller pitch (for each engine remembering they are counter rotators so each prop is opposite), and I were to change props to a suitable one - then yeah she might plane on one engine maybe - but probaby not much over 15 knots at the reduced pitch.
My cousin has a 21 ft Sportfish plate with twin 110 2 strokes and it would plane and do 20 - 25 knots on one engine. (initially now has one Suki 225 2 stroke).
Its like everything - as long as you can get the horsepower to the road they will plane but if you have not enough surface area or too tall a pitch then they won't...

A lot too depends on how much weight you carry - i have everything but the kitchen sink. People on charters expect you to have everything and anything at a moments notice so mine is never a light boat it is ALWAYS crammed to the gills with crap.

I guess if I had to and threw half the crap over board it might plane on one! :lol: :lol:

If I had a spare $70K sitting idle I'd put a pair of the new 175's on her and see what difference it made....

Course technically that would be breaking the law..as a coxswain you can operate a combined brake horsepower of 330Hp...meaning twin 165's...

So twin 175's I'd be 20 HP over that 330 allowed.

The rules are changing in Feb I believe if the legislation gets passed.

Not sure what the max HP will be then. More than 330Hp anyway!

Cheers
Flywest Fishing Charters

Islander
Master Angler Ranking

Took another

Post by Islander » Sun Feb 03, 2008 3:42 pm

Took a new "on water" photo of her yesterday!

"Utopia".

Just had to post it somewhere! :lol: :lol:

Cheers
Flywest Fishing Charters

Bob Fisher
Administrator

FLY WEST - West Moore Island Fishing Lodge

Post by Bob Fisher » Mon Feb 04, 2008 12:21 am

Nice!

I see that you postioned yourself and timed it so that the lodge is in the background...

:wink:

It looks good up there... sighhh... maybe one day I'll go back home...
Capt. Aussie Bob Fisher
SportfishWorld, LLC.

Return to “FISHING BOATS OPEN FORUM”