PRODUCT REVIEW: Magellan Maestro 4250 GPS

We welcome your 4WD/Tow Vehicle Photos, Reports, Success or Horror Stories.

Moderator: Bob Fisher

Bob Fisher
Administrator

PRODUCT REVIEW: Magellan Maestro 4250 GPS

Post by Bob Fisher » Tue Mar 18, 2008 2:36 am

Problems with Brand New Magellan Maestro 4250 GPS

I just purchased a Magellan Maestro 4250 GPS for my Dodge truck. I'm in the shopping center parking lot, it's BRAND NEW and I've got it out of the box. I plugged it in and turned it on... nothing!

Warranty says "Do not return to Store... Contact Customer Support"...

Driving erratically all of the way home in the traffic. One eye on the road, one eye on the Magellan GPS... Plugging it into one 12v outlet and then another... turning it on, turning it off, still nothing!

Got it home and plugged it into a 110v outlet (USA) ... NOTHING!!!

DAY ONE:
Forked out cash... wasted a lot of time and filled out an online return/repair request to the Magellan support folks... waiting for a response... Should have bought a Garmin for the truck... Had a handheld Garmin ETrex for years and never had a problem with it... wanted to upgrade to a bigger, fixed mount unit with BlueTooth so I chose the Magellan Maestro 4250 GPS...

DAY TWO:
Still no word from the Magellan support team...

Attachments
Magellan-Maestro-4250-GPS.jpg
PRODUCT REVIEW: Initial Rating - POOR... Problems with Brand New Magellan Maestro 4250 GPS
Magellan-Maestro-4250-GPS.jpg (49.6 KiB) Viewed 2615 times
Capt. Aussie Bob Fisher
SportfishWorld, LLC.

Bob Fisher
Administrator

Post by Bob Fisher » Fri Mar 21, 2008 4:58 pm

Problems with Magellan Customer Service/Support Team

This post is a continuation from the Previous Post: "Problems with Brand New Magellan Maestro 4250 GPS"

I registered the product and sent yet another email to the Magellan 'Support Team'. Still no response!

I really didn't want my intelligence insulted but I ended up having to call them and actually speak with them. I knew in advance how it would go...

MST - Magellan Support Team

ME - Bob Fisher, SportfishWorld

MST: Have you tried plugging it in to another vehicle?

ME: No, but I have tried three different 12 volt outlets in my own truck that work for other devices AND I've also tried using the AC power adaptor at home.

MST: Have you tried charging it for 3-4 hours first before using it?

ME: Yes actually I left it on AC charge overnight BUT that shouldn't matter... that's only if you want it to run off it's own power. It says on the box simply plug it in to a power source and turn it on!

I'm not going to repeat the whole conversation here but it was VERY time consuming and very frustrating and went back and forth... So anyway this is how it ended up ten minutes later -

MST: It sounds like there is a problem with your unit. Here is a return authorization number and a return address. Mail it back to us and we will repair it for you...

ME: Who pays for the postage?

MST: You do!

Ok, so now I get really angry... It's brand new, it didn't work out of the box and I'm meant to pay to have it returned and then it is going to be repaired... BTW 3 days have passed by now... ummm, also no reply yet to my previous two emails to the 'support team'...

ME: OK, put a supervisor on. I'm not paying for postage. You are sending me a new unit (free of charge) and a prepaid envelope to return this one...

MST: OK, I've spoken to my supervisor. We can't do that but you can try returning it to the store and tell them you have spoken with us and it seems like there is a problem with your unit. Is there anything else we can help you with?

ME: No thank you! Bye!

I went back to the store and found that they actually have a generous return policy... Wish I had known that before...

I had the option to have it replaced or get my money back.

I asked the young lady at the counter if anyone else had returned a similar unit. (They had just gone on sale the day that I purchased mine)

She said: Yes actually, we had a customer come in yesterday who had just purchased the same model (i.e. a Magellan Maestro 4250 GPS) and it didn't work...

I said: I'll have my money back then. Thank you...

I am now in the market (again) for a new GPS with a decent sized display and BlueTooth for my truck.

UPDATE:
Some four days later the Magellan 'Support Team' eventually reply to my email(s) and suggest that I charge the unit for 3-4 hours first before trying to use it. If that doesn't work they suggest I call their support help line...

MY FINAL RATING: Magellan Maestro 4250 GPS
POOR. But in reality it's unknown. As it never worked, not even once, I can't really rate it...
Capt. Aussie Bob Fisher
SportfishWorld, LLC.

Return to “FOUR WHEEL DRIVES, TOW VEHICLES & OFFROAD VEHICLES”