Help On Bait Used

Fishing around Australia. Fishing in Western Australia, South Australia, Northern Territory, New South Wales, Victoria, Queensland, Tasmania!

Moderator: barra_on_fly

gulfstreampool

Help On Bait Used

Post by gulfstreampool » Fri Jan 25, 2008 8:03 pm

Hello,
I am interested in the type baits used in your area. Are Ballyhoo, Sardines or Chum used?

Thanks in advance for your reply.

Ken

Islander
Master Angler Ranking

Yup Indeed

Post by Islander » Fri Jan 25, 2008 10:06 pm

Yes Indeed Ken,

I once did a scientific paper for the Australian Quarantine & Inspection Sercice f Aus on just that issue - importation into Australia of frozen bait and the diseae risk implications thereof.

How much do you want to know?

We call a ballyhoo over here a gar-fish and they are a very popular sailfish bait.

Sardines here are sardines everywhere Sardax sardinella, ours are a southern sub species susceptible to a viral herpes like disease present in the northern type species - we had 2 mass mortality events that supposedly were linked to importation of raw frozen sardines from the northern hemisphere for tuna farm feedstock and lobster bait.

We use all manner of chum here but refer to it variously as "rubby dubby", "Berley", "Burley", "Chum", - and it is often a home made brew containing all manner of fish by product from whale meal, whale oil, tuna oil, potato, crustacea shells (prawn heads, lobster heads and legs, crab shells etc) fish scraps, sardines etc .

Use of chum is not as prevalent in the North where it just attracts attention from unwanted sharks.

A popular bait in the north is live mullet, pop eye mullet etc.

We are in inventive lot when it comes to bait - the Lobster industry in West Australia alone imports something like 30,000 tonnes a year of frozen raw north sea herring as bait.

Tuna farms likewise import huge quantities of raw fish as feedstocks for tuna farms and so on.

It's a might big subject - why the interest?

Cheers
Flywest Fishing Charters
http://www.flywest.com.au

gulfstreampool

Post by gulfstreampool » Fri Jan 25, 2008 10:19 pm

Can you send me your email and I can respond. Thanks.

gulfstreampool@comcast.net is my address.

Ken

Leith Larham
Forum MODERATOR PHGFC Port Hedland

Post by Leith Larham » Sat Jan 26, 2008 12:23 am

Hello Ken,

here in Port Hedland, which is located in the north of Western Australia, the main baits used here are -

Garfish (Ballyhoo) for sailfish and other surface feeding pelagic.
Mullet (used alive) for Barramundi or rigged to swim as a dead bait for Marlin.
Squid for bottom bouncing for reef species - Red Emperor and Corel Trout etc
Pilchards or Mulies as know here in WA - generally used to catch most other fish.

There are countless other forms of baits that are used for more specific species, in fact all these baits mentioned can be used to catch all types of fish.

Australia is a huge country with a vast amount of species of fish with many types of bait both artificial and natural to catch them with. If you could be more specific about a part of the country or a species of fish then we give you more info on bait used.

However the use of Whale Meal or Whale Oil should be frowned upon. Any support for the whaling industry, be it from using by products from the slaughter of whales should be stopped. There are countless other forms of products that can be used for such purposes.

As far as i am aware all whales in Australian waters are protected under federal law.

Cheers Leith
Quality not Quantity!

Islander
Master Angler Ranking

Leith is right

Post by Islander » Sat Jan 26, 2008 8:42 am

Leith is right
However the use of Whale Meal or Whale Oil should be frowned upon. Any support for the whaling industry, be it from using by products from the slaughter of whales should be stopped. There are countless other forms of products that can be used for such purposes.

As far as i am aware all whales in Australian waters are protected under federal law.
Leith is right that we frown upon the use of these products - however having said that, historically it is accurate to say we have used those products in the past - my research back in 1999 when I wrote the paper for AQIS showed that we were indeed still importing whale oil and whale meal from countries that still produce it (like greenland etc)

I think a primary use of the meal was as a feed supplement in feedstocks manufacturing - what the oil was used for I don't recall - only that there were quantities still being imported.

The guy asked a question, I was answering it based on the facts. The morality or otherwise don't really come into it. It was a pretty generalised answer after all the paper was some 700 pages long, pretty hard to summarise in a one para answer.

I mentioned tuna oil becaue we largely use that as a substitute for whale oil in the rec fishing industry these days.

Lastly you say whales are protected in Australia - and they are, but what about after they are dead?

Recall that once I worked for CALM as a wildlife officer, well not so recently - we had a case on a southern beach where a guy cut a jawbone (lower mandible) off a toothed whale carcass washed up on the beach (presumably for the ivory in the teeth) using a chainsaw.

He was charged and prosecuted by CALM wildlife officers for "taking protected wildlife"....even tho it was a dead carcass. The environment minister at the time Judy Edwards from memory instructed DPP to drop the case (at my urging).

Once an animals dead thru natural causes - it becomes a carcass and not subject to protection under the wildlife act.
(Minister dropped the case because I was going to appear as a witness for the defense and relate the following tale)!

During my tenure I recall a particular whale rescue at Augusta, where our Dept spent millions transporting pilot whales around to Hamelin bay from the coast east of Augusta to release them with some success.

Those that were located to far east and too far gone to save were euthanized by CALM wildlife officers. The CALM 950 loader was used to carry a few of the smaller carcasses over the sand dunes out of site of the press and tourists etc and most were buried.
(Excepting a couple small ones).

After the weekend rescue was over - and everyone went back to work etc - most of the local CALM staff took days off owing in lieu of weekend worked, and took chainsaws and metters copper stoves - 44 gallon drums etc, on beach buggies and 4wd utes back to the beach site behind the dunes and spent days carving the carcasses up - rendering the blubber down into whale oil in their metters coppers and pouring it into 44 gallon drums for the CALM Fishing Club annual "reef beach" trip.

This is the agency you declare is sposed to protect whales Leith....

Let me tell you first hand buddy from experience working in the Dept for many years that they only protect the live ones, and they aren't adverse to a little blubber rendering when they inadvertently strand and die!

It isn't like they killed them for their oil - but those that couldn't be saved weren't wasted - lets put it that way - so - in effect there are still anglers today who fish with whale oil - much as morally we might not agree with it - it's still a factual answer to the guys question.

Because I relate a factual answer doesn't mean I condone it - I certainly never went near the rotting stinking carcasses, I don't personally use oil of any kind tuna or whale - because I fly fish - I prefer to fool fish with my fly imitation, not set them into a feeding frenzy with oil so they will bite anything.

(An aside - What was "memorable" about the whale oil incident, was that in transporting the oil back to town on the beach buggies, one of the 44 drums sloshed a large proportion of its contents over the occupants as they crested a dune - who were largely still wearing their work attitre....and it stank to high heavens. Their wives banished them from the houses upon arrival home and refused to wash their clothes, their boots couldn't be salvaged from the smell and had to be ceremonially burnt, and I ended up having to order new uniforms and boots for the pair so afflicted).

Thats just my moral position on it - but it doesn't mean everyone else agrees or practices that ethic....even the very people you claim are there to "protect the whales" could be said to have questionable moral ethics in relation to whale products when they gather them themselves, but charge others with wildlife offences who try to do likewise.

Factually - sadly we still have whale meal and whale oil in this country - like it or not and thats part of the answer given - because it's factual, not because I condone it.

Cheers
Flywest Fishing Charters
http://www.flywest.com.au

Mullaking

Post by Mullaking » Mon Feb 25, 2008 11:46 am

Ahhh bait.

That is a biggie.
Fresh Live Local. Thats what I do and it works.
I once went fishing in a freshwater creek in (or river just in case Barra is reading :lol: ) in the Southwest and employed a technique taught to me by ....someone ....cant remember who :? .
I took a bug catching net with me and waved it through the reeds alongside the river creek thing and managed to withdraw a few small bugs.
I put a coulpe of those suckers on the hook and gently dropped them intop a dark little nook alongside a big sunken log.
Didnt catch anything but I am told it works :roll: .

As for whales... I think the only think that eats whales is Sharks. Most people here in Aus will not buy any whale products out of principle now days no matter how good they are for bait or whatever.

Stick with fresh live local and you cant go wrong.
PS Blue bone love those little crabs that clamber around the rocks at low tide.

barra_on_fly
Forum MODERATOR Fishing W.A. & Australia

Post by barra_on_fly » Thu May 22, 2008 2:51 am

Mullaking wrote:

I once went fishing in a freshwater creek in (or river just in case Barra is reading :lol: )
Rivers = BIG ie Fortesque, Daly, Murray, Darling etc
Creeks = small ie Airport, Billy Goat, Truro ( :lol: ) etc

Mullaking

Post by Mullaking » Thu May 22, 2008 4:39 am

My door has a creek in it!! :lol:

barra_on_fly
Forum MODERATOR Fishing W.A. & Australia

Post by barra_on_fly » Thu May 22, 2008 10:38 am

Mullaking wrote:My door has a creek in it!! :lol:
:lol:

Where ya been Mullaking?
See my widdle mully in SA? :roll: