Help needed with Saltwater Fly Fishing Outfit

General Forum for Fly Fishing

Moderator: Bob Fisher

wookie

fly gear

Post by wookie » Tue Jul 01, 2008 11:42 am

My outfits.

Innovator Matrix 9wt With Fenwick Large Arbor.

Penn International 9wt with Redington RS 7/8. Bit small but got a couple of tuna on this one off Dundee last season.

Islander
Master Angler Ranking

Thats

Post by Islander » Fri Jul 04, 2008 12:22 pm

Thats not a tuna.... :wink:

Now THAT's a tuna! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Scott 3 piece 10 wt & Hayden anti reverse reel.

Note it is NOT large arbor - this crap that everyone needs large arbor is just that - crap - large arbor is NICE to have but not ESSENTIAL as many will tell you.

Theres another long tail tuna on fly.

http://www.flyreels.com.au/images/Pursuit32S.JPG

The latest Hayden reels have a few more holes in them these days - the older hand built models still work just as well - I haven't been able to kill mine in more than 10 years of saltwater fly work!

Just get the best gear you can afford at the time - look after if and hope to avoid the usual accidents that beset most fly gear from time to time.

Using it at places where big saltwater fish abide certainly increases your odds.

Cheers
Flywest Fishing Charters
http://www.flywest.com.au

wookie

Post by wookie » Sat Jul 05, 2008 12:01 am

Definately keen to give the tuna another shot. Was only small ones around on the days I have the fly gear with me. Usually carry it in the boat now ready for the opportunity if it arises.
Might get down your way and play with some of those Queenies on the flats Islander.

Islander
Master Angler Ranking

The Queenies

Post by Islander » Sat Jul 05, 2008 3:43 pm

The Queenies are the quintessential saltwater fly fish - they do everything a sports fish should do - they are willing takers of the fly - they pull well outside their weight range and jump a lot into the bargain!

Lets face it anything that pulls backing is a bonus.

We've been trying now some 6 months at LEAST to do what they do in Darwin and feed bread to the milk fish, so that we can fool them into eating bread flies...strictly for a little fun you understand.

Damn milk fish swim in near is when feeding the bread but will not come close enough to eat yet after 6 months trying.

The yellow tailed (pikey) bream - seem to love the bread and are there every day and show little if any fear, they are also willing fly takers despite having been caught and released a few times now - you'd think they would learn - but - ahh - no - they are just plain DUMB!

They sure do remind me of Pink Snapper the way they feed!

But it's the milk fish I'd like to tame....must be doing something wrong I guess.!

Ohh well!

Cheers
Flywest Fishing Charters
http://www.flywest.com.au

Return to “FLY FISHING”