Fly tying

General Forum for Fly Fishing

Moderator: Bob Fisher

Leith Larham
Forum MODERATOR PHGFC Port Hedland

Fly tying

Post by Leith Larham » Sat Jan 05, 2008 9:05 am

After receiving a new fly tying vice from Santa, I have been trying a few new fly patterns. The first being a Toad, made famous from the "Chasing Silver" movie about a couple of guys chasing tarpon on the flats of Florida. I am working on some variations to throw at a local population of Permit. Not the same species however a few changes to the pattern might make a difference. I have attached a pic of the toad. I am pretty keen to catch up with any other fly tyer's in the Pilbara area and swap theories on fly tying and fishing.

Cheers Leith
Attachments
IMG_1864.JPG
IMG_1864.JPG (48.11 KiB) Viewed 12279 times
Quality not Quantity!

barra_on_fly
Forum MODERATOR Fishing W.A. & Australia

Post by barra_on_fly » Sat Jan 05, 2008 4:08 pm

Fly looks good Leith! Haven't seen that movie. Will have to track down a copy.
I am going FIFO soon for a while...
Should get a tying vice to while away those camp hours.
Can only play guitar so much.... :roll:

Islander
Master Angler Ranking

Leith

Post by Islander » Sat Jan 05, 2008 5:27 pm

That toads a good looking fly, bit like one of Dan Blantons whistlers in some ways.

That said - fishing for Tarpons and Permit are a fair bit different.

Really speaking you need to be tying a heck of a lot of crab flies (Dels Merkins) in variety's of colors with variety's of different colored legs and in different weights from fast to slow sink - to suspender patterns that sorta hover mid water for permits!

Least the guys who have caught a lot of permit like Morse & Starlo all say that.

I have a tying vice out here on the Island with me - I admit it's been a good while since I've tied any flies at all - specially crabs - but they ain't too hard!

If you ever get out here - we can have a fly tying session one night.

I've tied (and fished) with some of the best including Mick Hall, Morse & Starlo.

I am an average fly tier unless I get determined and put my mind to it, then I can do a bit better! :wink:

As well as crab patterns you should be looking hard at some shrimp (prawn) imitations if you want permit and bones, I do have copies somewhere of Leftys saltwater fly tying book and Dick Browns Bonefish Flies book - I think they are in storage in Mandurah - will have to get them sent up here next trip I go back to Perth.

Chap here from Florida a couple weeks back spotted a pair of bones swimming past the front door the morning we threw a heap of prawn heads and shells out from the night befores BBQ dinner.

I'd guess theres permit about too - but haven't actually looked specifically for them as yet.

Cheers
Flywest Fishing Charters
http://www.flywest.com.au

Leith Larham

Post by Leith Larham » Sat Jan 05, 2008 11:39 pm

Thanks Islander,

i have been trying to catch permit on the traditional fly's - merkins crabs etc, however i seem to be spending more time hooked to the bottom than to fish. So after seeing the success of the toad by suspending the fly in the middle of the water column i can have my fly in the zone for a longer period without the risk of getting caught on the coral below.

i have located an area where its not uncommon to see over 50 permit feeding with there tails sticking out of the water. On occasions i have seen large groups of permit attack small schools of bait fish. It’s in this situation where i have hooked them with a toad fly.

Where abouts is this island that you have your camp on?

Regards Leith.
Quality not Quantity!

Islander
Master Angler Ranking

West

Post by Islander » Sun Jan 06, 2008 1:21 am

West Moore - right next door to DePuch Island opposite balla balla (Whim Creek) is where we are.

You need some suspender crabs bye the sound of it.

I've no doubt the Dart Permit Oyster crusher call it what you will has a varied diet, that might include baitfish as well.

Its mouth has crushing plates suggesting a great deal of it's diet is crustacea, however, that I know of no definitive work has been done on their stomach contents as for example has been done on bones by the likes of Dick Browne et al so it could well prove that the toad brings em undone....only way to know is put it in front of a hungry one and see!

Gus like Starlo, Morse, Fish Philliskirk & Greg Bethune who get consistent results (as much as one can on blochii) all seem to rely on the suspender crab or variants thereof.

Then again- up in Carpentaria - they tend to get them where they congregate on the end of eroding sand bars - so your coral situation sounds a bit different.

Who knows until you give it a go hey?

You'll often get big schools of them (Permit) around pearl farms - oysters being a favourite food...with the panels being turned every 2 weeks and cleaned every 4 - a lot of the barnacle and algae growth that gets blasted off is pure burley for permits!

Cheers
Flywest Fishing Charters

Leith Larham

Post by Leith Larham » Sun Jan 06, 2008 4:12 am

I have just played around a bit with the toad, as you can see from the pic, i have reduced the amount of marabou and used colours more relevant to the local crab population. Next tie i will add some rubber legs and i think this will be a close imitation to a crab, and hopefully will help the issue with snagging the bottom.
West Moore - right next door to DePuch Island opposite balla balla (Whim Creek) is where we are.
I was recently there with a good friend fly fishing the flats to the east of you towards DePuch island, there is a lot of good grounds there. Next time i am going to have to drop in and say hello, are you there all year round?

Cheers Leith
Attachments
IMG_1893.JPG
IMG_1893.JPG (35.23 KiB) Viewed 12252 times
Quality not Quantity!

Islander
Master Angler Ranking

Yes indeed

Post by Islander » Sun Jan 06, 2008 2:10 pm

Unless we evacuate for a cyclone.

I remember seeing you in the tinny fly fishing the flats between east and West Moore, I waved you to come say g'day but probably you couldn't see me on the verandah!

We only leave to shop and cyclone evac.

Cheers
Flywest Fishing Charters

barra_on_fly

Post by barra_on_fly » Thu Jan 10, 2008 3:50 am

What is the brand of the vice Leith?
I take it you got it online (from Santa)!

Leith Larham

Post by Leith Larham » Fri Jan 11, 2008 11:08 am

Hello Scott,

its a Renzetti vice, and yes i had to get it out of the states as no one sells them here in Australia.

They are a great vice, the ability to rotate your fly a full 360 degree's either way whilst half way through a fly really does make a difference.

Cheers Leith
Quality not Quantity!

barra_on_fly

Post by barra_on_fly » Sat Jan 12, 2008 10:07 am

Thanks Leith, I will have to look it up!
Rough idea on price?

Are you using SL 12's?

Return to “FLY FISHING”