Steve and Russ' Excellent Day Out!!!

Fishing the Esperance region in the south eastern corner of Western Australia. Latest Beach Fishing and Boat Fishing reports from local correspondent Russell Stone. Bream, Mulloway, Snapper, Salmon, Groper...

Moderator: rusty

Steve Ward
Master Angler Ranking

Figure of 8

Post by Steve Ward » Thu Aug 14, 2008 2:07 pm

Figure of 8

Hi Pup

You are on the right track, figure of 8 is a pretty good start, sunk rocks on the way out is worth a look as well. There is some nasty bommies around figure of 8 but they are all marked on the map

I am not sure how long you have been in Esperance, but the general rule is, go west during the winter, east in summer due to the sea breezes

I am not sure if you can split the 8084 unit into 4 sections, if so you need to set it up with the plotter on the left of screen then set a middle section with ZOOM BOTTOM, and your normal sounder setting on the left, the zoom bottom will give you the bottom 2 meters and really highlights fish, Moving around slowly over lumps will really highlight fish this way, if you cannot split the screen then you just need to swap over to it when on the lumps
Did you get your boat from Chris at Moby’s if so he will help you set it up?

I got onto some pinkies earlier in the year and we bagged out with 2 boats in no time and you couldn’t see the fish on the sounder, i could just pick them up on the zoom bottom as they we hugging the rocks, so even if the sounder doesn’t pick anything up it is still worth a drift on lumps

Starting to wish i was back in Esperance myself, but am 1 week down and 7 to go before i get back

Wardie

woody

Post by woody » Thu Aug 14, 2008 5:23 pm

Gday Pup, good to see you tapping into some local knowledge, Steve knows his fishing thats for sure, check out his exmouth pics! Ya just gotta get your old man sorted now, but dont tell him bout those bommies out figure 8! As long as its not as rough as it was at buttys that time hey.....Hope you hook into some pinkies.

Heading to Coral bay in a couple of weeks so I'm hanging for that, try and catch some spanglies and big trevs. Got the wheels in motion for a big Quobba trip next year with Steve Gillette from westrac, stocking up on gear already. Bring on the mackies!!!

Sweet shed by the way Steve...

Woody

Pup

Post by Pup » Thu Aug 14, 2008 10:13 pm

Wood duck!!! Whats going on champ? Coral bay sounds nice mate.

I was talking to steve gillette the other day and he was getting all keen for a fishing mission aswell.

This site is awesome, the guy's have been really helpfull already.

I got onto it from the pics you emailed me.

I just dont tell dad where we're going anymore, he stresses to much!!! haha... you know what he's like.

Should be a good wkend, weather is shit hot finaly!

Pup

Post by Pup » Thu Aug 14, 2008 10:24 pm

Hey Wardie, yeah got boat from moby's i'll have to go have a chat as im not realy up with how to use the sounder to it's full potential?
Been speaking to Russ and he said to try some islands out around woodie ect, so i think i might do that as i havn't been out that way before. If i dont catch anything at least i can have a good look around eh!
7 weeks! shit, thats a long time to be thinking about fishing!!!

Cheers for the info.

Pup

Bob Fisher
Administrator

Lil' Puppy

Post by Bob Fisher » Fri Aug 15, 2008 1:49 am

G'Day Pup

Make sure you take your camera out this weekend and snap off a bunch of photos for the Esperance Forum!

Cheers,

Bob
Capt. Aussie Bob Fisher
SportfishWorld, LLC.

Steve Ward
Master Angler Ranking

Catching Fish in Esperance is Easy

Post by Steve Ward » Fri Aug 15, 2008 4:42 am

Figure of 8

Hi Pup

Managed to dig up a few photos of figure of 8. with the northerly wind you will do okay out there especialy with the 1 metre swell forcasted , there is some good lumps of fthe end,of the last island they are on the charts and are a good starting point.
is good to troll a lure around out there as well, never know what you will pick up

Steve
Attachments
March  08-2006 006.jpg
March 08-2006 006.jpg (64.38 KiB) Viewed 10490 times
Figure of 8 007.jpg
Figure of 8 007.jpg (51.59 KiB) Viewed 10490 times
Figure of 8 006.jpg
Figure of 8 006.jpg (65.64 KiB) Viewed 10490 times
Figure of 8 004.jpg
Figure of 8 004.jpg (63.8 KiB) Viewed 10490 times
Figure of 8 002.jpg
Figure of 8 002.jpg (81.22 KiB) Viewed 10490 times

Pup

Post by Pup » Mon Aug 18, 2008 2:13 am

G'day lads,

Hit up figure 8 and had a ball, weather was awesome and caught a few fish. I got a couple of pics on me phone before it went flat, forgot to take a camera!
We ended up with a few black arse, nannies, swallow tail, queenies and a sambo. No such luck with the pinkies, but am keen as to hit the water every chance i get so they will come eventualy.

I'll see if i can get the pics on here?

Mullaking

Post by Mullaking » Mon Aug 18, 2008 10:50 am

Thats some awesome fishing. One day I will have to fish Esperance. I have only fished from shore when I was younger but never really did much good. Weather can be treacherous down there like Here in Hedland but when the good days come and your ready it definately pays off.

I wanna catch one of those monster pinkies. :shock:

Bob Fisher
Administrator

ESPERANCE FISHING REPORTS

Post by Bob Fisher » Tue Aug 19, 2008 2:29 am

ESPERANCE FISHING REPORTS

Hey guys! Let's start a NEW post for the next excellent Esperance Fishing Report... :D
Capt. Aussie Bob Fisher
SportfishWorld, LLC.

rusty
Forum MODERATOR Fishing in Esperance

New Esperance Fishing Report

Post by rusty » Tue Aug 19, 2008 10:07 am

New Esperance Fishing Report

Thought i better start a new thread as it appears the last one went on too long aye.

Well I got out in scimitar on the weekend and it looked like the weather was a pearler, had miky smithson and old cobb as well my oldest son karl on board.

We set off for the pink snapper spot only to get blown away with the wind, big trouble is about 28' of boat side on to wind is almost impossible.

I have decided to get a lot larger sea anchor as the existing one i am using is not good enough and as we were fishing in 60 odd meters of water the drift was to great tr5o hit bottom.

We decided to head back in inshore to near observitory island and get into the sand whiting, and we did after approx 2-3 hrs we bagged out on some nice ones as well as 6 very nice flathead in the 6-700mm size, we then went back out to the lumps and picked up 2 nice pink snapper and a few queenies as well as some nannigai, buit in the end the drift dropped off to nothing and we just spun in circles, we headed in just on dark and ended up at mikes to clean the fish etc and have a couple of drinkies.

Glad that I didn't have such a late day that often as I felt flogged on monday morning, might have been someting to do with the port
the dragon tells me though i am sure i did not drink that much.

Sorry but no pics barra and i guess that is not good enough but i got to take one pic of the wind farm and found out battery dont last long in digi cams, have now invested in some rechargable units so prob fixed...
Attachments
esperance wind farm power generation inshore.jpg
esperance wind farm power generation inshore.jpg (44.08 KiB) Viewed 10397 times
I live with fear sometimes she lets me go fishing!!!!!!!!

Return to “FISHING IN ESPERANCE, WESTERN AUSTRALIA”