Iron Ore - Whim Creek

Western Australia-Pilbara Region: Fishing reports from Port Hedland, general discussion on fishing and boating in the incredible Northwest of Western Australia. Fishing for Sailfish, Mulloway, Barramundi, Trevally, Queenfish, Barracuda and more.

Moderator: Bob Fisher

Leith Larham
Forum MODERATOR PHGFC Port Hedland

Iron Ore - Whim Creek

Post by Leith Larham » Fri Feb 15, 2008 10:03 am

Aurox Resources limited is one step closer to the commencement of mining at Whim Creek.

"DENMARK-based engineering company FLSmidth has won the $A170 million contract to build Aurox Resources' Balla Balla magnetite iron ore project in the Pilbara.

FLSmidth Minerals will supply the complete plant, as well as material handling systems from the mine to the processing plant and the ship-loading conveyor.

The Balla Balla plant will have an initial capacity of 6 million tonnes of magnetite per annum, with the option to expand to 10Mt in the future.

Several FLSmidth companies and divisions will supply plant for the project including a relocatable gyratory crusher station, ore stockpiling and reclaiming equipment, and concentrate stacking, reclaiming and shiploading equipment along with semi-autogenous (SAG) mills, cyclones and pumps.

In its announcement, the Danish company said the contract with the Australian iron ore hopeful validated its One Source project model, which it said would save Aurox some six months in bringing project to commissioning.

Production is planned to start in the third quarter of 2010.

"Unquote"

I only hope this will not have any impact on access to Balla Balla creek. As the mine site is located right on top of the existing access road.
Attachments
balla-balla-overview[1].png
balla-balla-overview[1].png (49.72 KiB) Viewed 8259 times
Quality not Quantity!

Mullaking

Post by Mullaking » Sun Feb 17, 2008 9:02 am

If it is blocked off (likely looking at the map) it may give the area a chance to revive after recent fishing pressure. There is some suggestion the are has been netted resulting in a poor Barra count this year.
Balla gets hammered. Every man and his dog goes down there on the weekends.
Its good up here in the Pilbara but it wont stay good forever if people keep flogging it to death.

Islander
Master Angler Ranking

Who knows?

Post by Islander » Sun Feb 24, 2008 5:08 pm

I can't see the road being blocked off - but then again - it they are planning a conveyor and ship loading facility etc then anything's possible.

One thing tho, I think they may be disappointed if they are planning to load ore out of Balla Balla.

Reason is - that Depuch Island is heritage listed and the state governement wanted to export ore from there a few years back but withdrew the proposal because of the problems with FEDERAL heritage listing!

It would not surprise me if they end up having to transport their ore to one of the existing ports!

As to the road - well I am already having problems with them now due to their drilling rig and all the recent rain.

That road is our cyclone escape route, and they unwisely cut it up with their drilling rig after recent rains - so I complained to the shire!

I see they now have a tracked drill rig.

If they keep messing with my escape route - they will never export ounce one of ore from this sate - i still have my contacts in DEC CALM...not hard to knobble a project of this kind if you know how! :wink:

I'll soon find a a rare or endangered animal or plant, and a few Heritage values being destoryed and throw a bloody big spanner in their wheel...

If they are gonna stuff up the environment here - at the heart of my tourist venture - they had better have another think - very quickly!

They may find their mining tenement withdrawn suddenly....not like my Uncle ran the mines department for 50 years,without some clout still - they are already starting to piss me off....and thats a bad bad thing! :wink:

Yes - I'd say the fishing around here isn't what it should be...and theres the possibility that nets are to blame...I haven't yet seen it myself but then I haven't specifically gone looking. I do know the Fisheries lads take an occasional peek around these parts.

Anyone netting around here would only be a question of time before they came unstuck.

Cheers
Flywest Fishing Charters
http://www.flywest.com.au

Mullaking

Post by Mullaking » Mon Feb 25, 2008 10:16 am

Port Hedland Harbour has been nothing less than decimated from the activity there. Its a fool who believes the tearing up of natural environments wont effect the ecology. Balla will suffer the same fate if they are allowed to move in. :cry:
Go get em Islander. :twisted:

But then I probably would never have come to Hedland had it not been for the likes of certain money hungry miners. :roll:

Its a sad trade off but the resources we dig up need to be shipped out somehow.
:?

Islander
Master Angler Ranking

The Plan was

Post by Islander » Mon Feb 25, 2008 12:54 pm

The original plan some years back was to build a new iron ore export facility at Balla Balla, but as I stated, the proposal was shelved in favor of expanding Lambert, Dampier & Port Headland to cope with the increased shipping traffic.

Some fella named Bednarick? campaigned about the petroglyphs and got DePuch Island heritage listed as a result of the mess made to the petroglyphs at the Burrup.. and that was the end of the Balla Balla / Depuch new port.

http://mc2.vicnet.net.au/home/dampier/s ... rujuga.pdf

http://www.dampierrockart.net/Media/200 ... t-West.pdf
At the time, Depuch Island was going to be the site for the town, later called Dampier, but the results of a study undertaken by the WA Museum warned against it because of the large number of petroglyphs.
http://www.burrup.org.au/Industrial_Development.html
The development of iron ore deposits in the Pilbara in the early 1960s led to the conflict in values between industry and heritage that exists today. Depuch Island, about 100km to the east of the Dampier Archipelago, was considered as the site of a possible port. However, a Western Australian Museum study there in 1962 recorded thousands of engravings and led to the state government abandoning Depuch Island as a port site. Instead, attention turned to the Dampier Archipelago where by contrast the decision to establish facilities was taken without regard to possible heritage values.
I'd be really surprised to see any mining company try to take on Federal heritage listed area as a port, when so many studies already exist against it and the Federal Listing was put in place to ensure it never happens.

Maybe they will export out of the Sherlock river instead?

Who knows - i sincerely doubt it will be Balla balla - albeit it Was a copper Ore Exporting Port in the early 1900's for Whim Creek deposits....where ships would shelter in behind DePuch while lighters would ferry the ore out for transport to Fremantle or Darwin.

There are few of these wrecked coastal freighters around the area , that were sunk in the great cyclones of 1912 and 1927. (Concordia, Crown Of England et al).

I hope they don't try for Balla Balla, as a port - its nice here - why stuff it up!

Cheers
Flywest Fishing Charters

rusty
Forum MODERATOR Fishing in Esperance

balla balla

Post by rusty » Wed Feb 27, 2008 12:25 pm

I must agree guys that this iff it is true is some scaryy shite and maybe this new goverment needs to look at the bloody great hole thats going to be left of west ozz at the end of it all!!!!!!
i for one am worried for my grandchildren and there brethren as time goe's by and most of our coastline gets smaller for the general public!!! :x

Mullaking

Post by Mullaking » Fri Feb 29, 2008 8:08 am

A crew of people I know are going to Balla and Depuch this weekend for a good few days of well earned R+R. They have promised photos and stories when they return. Lets hope they are not some of the last!!

Islander
Master Angler Ranking

A few

Post by Islander » Fri Feb 29, 2008 1:23 pm

A few of them might be dropping in for a coldie bye th e sounds of it! :wink:

Cheers
Flywest Fishing Charters

Return to “FISHING IN PORT HEDLAND, PILBARA, WESTERN AUSTRALIA”