Old Port Hedland Photos

Western Australia-Pilbara Region: Fishing reports from Port Hedland, general discussion on fishing and boating in the incredible Northwest of Western Australia. Fishing for Sailfish, Mulloway, Barramundi, Trevally, Queenfish, Barracuda and more.

Moderator: Bob Fisher

Bob Fisher
Administrator

Old Port Hedland Photos

Post by Bob Fisher » Mon Nov 28, 2005 7:12 pm

I found some old photos from the time that I lived in Port Hedland during the 1970's. I fished the shore at Finucane Island and on some weekends drove down to Point Samson and fished the jetty. I was working as a teller for the ANZ Bank at the time and the only one I knew (personally) who had a boat at that time was the ANZ Bank Manager. Below is a photo of the boat ramp back then!

The sign warns of a SHEER drop into DEEP water!

The only opportunity I had to fish offshore at that time was one trip with some bloke on a windy day in a Surfcat or HobieCat. We sailed that thing around the spoil bank trolling big spoons on heavy handlines behind us... A small cooler held the beer and our fish (small macks and trevally) left a blood trail behind us...Scary (or stupid) when I look back on it...

I have some more pics that I will post soon.
Capt. Aussie Bob Fisher
SportfishWorld, LLC.

Post by Guest » Mon Dec 12, 2005 4:30 pm

The fishing is pretty awesome here now imagine what it was like in the seventies. :shock:

Love to see more of those if ya got em.

Bob Fisher
Administrator

Old Port Hedland Photos

Post by Bob Fisher » Fri Dec 16, 2005 4:50 am

OK Here is another one from 1974 or 1975. Who can tell me the name of this famous Port Hedland street? Don't ask me because it was so long ago I have forgotten... :oops: There is also a 'Cost Plus' container in the background? The vehicles are a 265 Hemi - Valiant Pacer or a Valiant Ranger? with a pink Mazda RX3 or RX4 behind that (I actually remember that vehicle) and up front is a Falcon ute that has been enclosed and turned into a cheap panel van...
Attachments
000000786_600.jpg
An Ore Carrier can be seen cruising out of Port Hedland Harbour (at the end of the street) in 1975. photo Bob Fisher
000000786_600.jpg (20.51 KiB) Viewed 6773 times
Capt. Aussie Bob Fisher
SportfishWorld, LLC.

Mullaking

Post by Mullaking » Sun Dec 18, 2005 12:03 am

That view can still be seen todey. The white building is a house that still stands on the corner of the main street (Wedge St). The street you are looking down is called Richardson street, Look down richardson st today and there is nearly always a massive ore carrier (could fit two of the one in the photo) staring back from the dock. Lovin those pics.

Bob Fisher
Administrator

Point Samson Jetty

Post by Bob Fisher » Sun Dec 18, 2005 9:19 pm

Shane,

I found another photo... It's some skinny kid :roll: who lived in Port Hedland during the 1970's. Rumour has it he would drive down to Point Samson after work on Friday nights to fish the jetty on weekends...

Cheers,

Bob
Attachments
PointSamsonJetty-01a.jpg
Queenfish, Golden Trevally and a small Mack caught at the end of the Point Samson Jetty
PointSamsonJetty-01a.jpg (52.26 KiB) Viewed 6740 times
Last edited by Bob Fisher on Tue Dec 20, 2005 3:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mullaking

Post by Mullaking » Mon Dec 19, 2005 9:04 am

That IS a skinny a$$ scrawney lookin kid. He makes the queenie look fat. Wouldnt be someone we both know would it? Keep em coming.

Return to “FISHING IN PORT HEDLAND, PILBARA, WESTERN AUSTRALIA”