Fishing Cervantes - Jurien Bay North

A series of photographs and articles featuring angling from Western
Australia by Ross Compe.

Moderator: Ross Compe

Ross Compe

Re: Fishing Cervantes - Jurien Bay North

Post by Ross Compe » Sun May 27, 2018 3:03 pm

Mr Mal Cruickshank has eclipsed his rivals in the November beach and rock competition from Greenhead with a magnificent Bronze Whaler Shark of 2.5 metres,8 Tailor and a Wirrah.
Those Bronze Whalers really hoot at that size from the beach and I'm sure you had a lot of fun with that beastie.
There was a move years ago to have that species of shark included in the game fish category and it's not a bad idea either.
Well done :arrow: :arrow: :arrow:
Attachments
Watermen (Small).jpg
"Remember Folks There Has Never Been A Fish Worth Dying For"

Ross Compe

Post by Ross Compe » Sun May 27, 2018 3:10 pm

Well done to Mark Sinclair on his Open win in the January Cervantes to Greenhead beach and rock competition.Aggregate weight of his mixed bag was 7.660kgs and included 8 Tailor,4 Garfish,2 Whiting and 10 Herring.
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Attachments
fish_talk_small_897.jpg

Ross Compe

Post by Ross Compe » Fri Jul 27, 2018 11:22 am

Well done to Wayne Drage a competition runner up in his clubs competition event during the June 9 and 10 weekend Offshore Angling Clubs beach and rock field day. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
A ripper Tailor of 1.3 Kgs made the the day in his mixed bag weight of 4.8kgs.
Another species event that included 2 Herring,5 Tailor and the Wirrah.
Couldn't resist that pot hole on the way home :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Wayne will never forgive me...
Attachments
Wirrah.jpg

Ross Compe

Post by Ross Compe » Fri Jul 27, 2018 11:31 am

Ladies winner for the June beach and rock event this time went to Carol Bennimen. 8) 8)
A terrific angler who grabbed her section trophy with just 1 Tailor and 1 Skippy.
Tony D'Alonzo came up trumps again in the veterans event with just 1 Tailor.
Very few fish about and when anglers of that class report to the scales with so few fish it just shows how tough it was for all competitors that weekend.
Attachments
Fishing Circles (Small).jpg

Ross Compe

Post by Ross Compe » Fri Jul 27, 2018 12:06 pm

A club President and now field day officer Mr Greg Uren showed the way during the June weekend of 9 and 10 with an impressive win in his clubs open event in the beach and rock event at Jurien Bay. :twisted: :twisted:
Weather conditions were fair on the Friday night and Joe Horvath nabbed a terrific Gummy Shark of just over a metre in length that weighed around 6 kgs. Unfortunately the shark was captured prior to lines down and was ineligible for the competition weigh in. :cry: :cry:
A nice Tailor of 1.1kgs gave him some relief as the conditions worsened and the weed and swell rose.
Most anglers fished south of Hill River as the river reached the sea and the bar broke on Saturday.
Some fished the brackish fresh that mixed with the salt as I would have chosen with little result other than some stubbon Sting Rays that sat on the sand after a couple of early big runs. :P :P
Wayne D found himself surrounded in a midnight salt lake as I did many years ago on a raising tide that surrounded his vehicle but escaped with no damage.
I can tell you I tied my dog to a spare wheel that night and raising the alarm with his idignant barking he jumped in the back of the 4WD shook his wet coat all over us and never really forgave me :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
My 7162 Norcoaster rod swept away during the night together with my rod pipe and Sea Mullet bait never to be seen again :oops: :oops:
May have been the sea but possibly a large Black Marlin :roll: :roll: :roll:
Back to the present however and Greg Uren did very well with a mixed aggregate bag of 5.4kgs that included 7 Tailor,2 Herring and 1 Whiting.
The photo here is of another champion angler and Field Day Officer at Miami near Mandurah many years ago.
Yep thats the frenchman and old Grant..
Cheers.........................
Attachments
Field Day Officers at Work.jpg

Return to “POSTCARDS FROM THE LEDGE”